It doesn’t matter if you’re into fantasy or not, you have seen it or at least clips of the show. While the show offers some great lines, there are special quotes that only appear in the books. Adapting the Books for TV Let’s be honest, most of the time, book adaptions aren’t great.
Many fans are left disappointed because key scenes or characters don’t appear. Games of Thrones seems to have broken free from this pattern. How were these books able to cross the line from paper to screen so well? The producers of the show, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff, both wanted the show to reflect the books as much as possible. They were huge fans of the series, having read them long before the show was created. Because they were readers and fans themselves, they knew which scenes were key in the books — ones that fans wanted to see the most.
Of course, it’s impossible to get everything exactly to mirror the books, they do also have to cater to an audience that has never read the books. So they weren’t afraid of adding a scene or two for clarity sake. The key for these added scenes was to make sure they had the same feeling that the books did. George R. R. Martin was even part of the casting the characters. He watched audition tapes from his home and gave Weiss and Benioff his opinion on the actors. Best Game of Thrones Quotes that Didn’t Make It into the Show While Weiss and Benioff did a fantastic job adapting the series, there are just some things that will get cut. This can be characters, scenes, or quotes.
1 st Book — A Game Of Thrones
- 1“Let them see that their words can cut you, and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.”—Tyrion Lannister to John Snow
- 2“’The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends,’ Ser Jorah told her. ‘It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.’ He gave a shrug. ‘They never are.’”—Jorah to Dany
- 3“If you would take a man’s life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”—Eddard Stark to Bran
2nd Book— A Clash Of Kings
- 1“Sorcery is the sauce fools spoon over failure to hide the flavor of their own incompetence.”—Tyrion Lannister
- 2“Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less.” Tyrion Lannister to Lord Varys
- 3“What good is this, I ask you? He who hurries through life hurries to his grave.”—Davos to Salladhor Saan
3rd Book—A Storm Of Swords
- 1“Old stories are like old friends, she used to say. You have to visit them from time to time.”—Bran
- 2“Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are like to do next. Sometimes the best way to baffle them is to make moves that have no purpose, or even seem to work against you.”—Petyr Baelish to Sansa Stark
- 3“The greatest fools are ofttimes more clever than the men who laugh at them.”—Tyrion Lannestier
4th Book— A Feast For Crows
- 1“History is a wheel, for the nature of man is fundamentally unchanging.”—Lord Rodrik to Asha Greyjoy
- 2“I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood.”’—Rodrik Harlaw
- 3“Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old.”—The Iron Captain to Victarion Greyjoy.
5th Book—A Dance With Dragons
- 1“You could make a poultice out of mud to cool a fever. You could plant seeds in mud and grow a crop to feed your children. Mud would nourish you, where fire would only consume you, but fools and children and young girls would choose fire every time.”— Barristan Selmy
- 2“Men live their lives trapped in an eternal present, between the mists of memory and the sea of shadow that is all we know of the days to come.”—Lord Bryden
What’s Your Favorite Quote?
Yes, there are a lot of fantastic Game of Thrones quotes we didn’t have time to include here. What are your favorite Game of Thrones quotes? Have they appeared on the TV show?